Monday, November 15, 2010

Essay 4 Topic

The No Child Left Behind Act was put into effect in order to make sure no one student was "left behind" and every child could "get where they are getting to" and become successful. However, the Act has some flaws that need to be addressed:

Point A: Teacher's are teaching to the test.
Point B: Students are being judged only by test scores.
Point C: Schools that don't meet standards are penalized.

Questions:
Is "teaching to the test" an effective strategy?
Should students be judged based only on test scores?
Should schools failing to meet standards be punished or helped?

5 comments:

  1. I like this topic. I also really like your point b, because personally I am horrible with tests but great with classwork assignments so if they are testing kids, people like me would hurt the scores of the schools and the schools would get penalized for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are 3 really strong points to address, im defff diggin where your going with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You meet very good points. Every student is different and learns differently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Kat very much!! I am not that great of a test taker and I know the material but you could never tell by the grades that I recieved!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Other considerations . . . it assumes the same information is taught to all children all over the US. 2nd, it assumes that that information is relevant to everyone. However, how do we determine of schools are effective if there is no test?

    ReplyDelete